Sunday, April 1, 2012

Raw: Days 37-40

Wow! I can't believe how fast Lent has flown by on the Raw Food diet. A lot of people have been asking me if I plan to continue it. Currently, I do. I'm aiming for about 70% raw. We'll see how it goes! I still have so many recipes I want to try.

Here are some highlights from the last few days:

Raw Foods Pizza with Sprouted-Grain Crust

This crust is AMAZING. It has great texture and the flavors of sun-dried tomato with Italian Seasoning and honey are fab.

Sauce - Tomato marinara sauce, which I've made before for zucchini pasta. This time it tasted different. I thought it was better. Maybe it was a better tomato.

Cheese is Pine Nut Cheese. I was low on pine nuts so I added extra cashews.

Toppings: Red bell pepper, onion, and parsley



Raw Swiss Muesli / Breakfast Cereal

Yum! What a tasty and quick breakfast. I'm not sure why I didn't try this one out sooner.

This is kind of a combination of the two above linked recipes.

1/4 c. Rolled oats (which I've learned are actually steamed so not technically raw, but I'm not going to be legalistic about things), sunflower seeds, and walnuts with
1/4 c. Walnuts
1/4 c. Sunflower Seeds
1 T Lemon Juice
1 T agave
1 t ground flax seed
1 t hemp protein powder

Mix together and add fruit!

 Thai Iced Tea

SO good. I didn't have star anise, so I threw in a little bit of allspice and cardamom. This has fantastic flavor!!

  • 4 tablespoons agave nectar
  • 1½ cups black tea, brewed
  • 1 cup Almond Milk
  • 2 tablespoons orange juice
  • ¼ teaspoon star anise powder
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 cups ice
  1. Pour agave nectar into the black tea.
  2. Stir in the almond milk, orange juice, star anise, vanilla, and cinnamon.
  3. Serve in two tall glasses. Put 1 cup of ice in each glass and pour the tea mixture over the ice cubes.
PER SERVING:
Calories: 204 | Fat: 11 g | Protein: 4 g | Sodium: 9 mg | Fiber: 1 g


Lemonade

Not a fan. I was really craving some citrus and a margarita. I thought this would be a good alternative.

The agave overpowered the lemon far too much. (I used 3 T since generally I like agave.) I think I would have preferred no sweetener at all!

I went from the initial 1/4 c lemon juice to 3/4 c lemon juice and added more ice, but the agave was still too strong.

I'll try a variation of this in the future. Maybe with limes next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment